Giving compliance-based advice while keeping an eye trained on business realities is the hallmark of Tracey’s employment law practice. Tracey provides counseling and training to employers to help keep them out of the courtroom, and when that can’t be avoided, she represents them in litigation.
Tracey represents a wide variety of clients involved in health care (including medical and dental practices), technology, renewable energy, life sciences, and professional services (including private equity, architecture, marketing and law firms). Tracey has close to 20 years’ employment law experience, and enjoys her work most when she helps her clients “do the right thing” for their employees, which is often what the law requires anyway.
Representative Work and Industry Experience
Advice and Counsel regarding:
- Employment discrimination laws
- Disability accommodation
- Wage and hour laws
- Independent contractor issues
- Leaves of absence (Family and Medical Leave, paid sick leave laws)
- Workplace violence
- Non-competition matters
- Employment policies and handbooks
- Claims of discrimination and harassment based on sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender identity, national origin and other protected statuses
- Claims of retaliation
- Claims of wrongful termination
- Whistle-blowing and breach of contract claims
- Non-competition enforcement or defense against enforcement
- Architecture and design companies
- Health care practices and industry related companies
- Internet companies
- Life sciences companies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Private equity firms
- Professional services companies
- Technology companies
Tracey began her legal career as an associate in the Labor and Employment Department at Foley Hoag LLP, and went on to become in-house Employment Counsel for an internet company in Cambridge. In 2005, she started her own employment law practice, and in 2015 her firm, Spruce Law LLC, became Of Counsel to Archstone Law Group. Tracey graduated from Boston College Law School, summa cum laude and from Middlebury College, cum laude. She is admitted to practice law in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. In 2009, she was named as a Massachusetts Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine. In 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015 Super Lawyers magazine named her a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Tracey enjoys reading, running, yoga, and keeping up with her husband and two children on the ski slopes of Vermont.